Citazione Originariamente Scritto da gibo Visualizza Messaggio
qui vedi il dimorfismo maschio/femmina:
http://www.tartarugando.it/outdoor/2...tml#post269928

quel ghiaino è deleterio, o usi sabbia finissima o usi ghiaione grossolano (piccoli ciottoli di fiume) o piuttosto fondo nudo, un blocco intestinale è fatale.
Questo è una delle tante domande che fanno parte della conversazione privata ed informale che ebbi a suo tempo con il “ curatore delle Tartarughe “ il Turtle keeper Jeff Dawson dello Zoo di St. Louis .Non ricordo esattamente come arrivai a conoscerlo , cioè quale fu il percorso che mi portò a lui , però sicuramente la spinta principale furono la curiosità,lo studio e la volontà di conoscere la specie a cui stavo dando attenzione ed ospitalità.

And still please , take a look to this photo.
This is my last setup for a Sternotherus carinatus .
When you talk about " The bottom of the enclosure may be left bare or covered in gravel, but avoid substrate that is small enough for the turtle to swallow" .
What do you mean exactly ? It is dangerous? Should i do it all again?
I hope really no....

Your enclosure looks very nice. Small substrate can definitely be a concern. If the substrate is ingested and unable to pass through the turtle, it can cause an impaction of the gastrointestinal tract. Such cases do happen, but typically they are rare. After all, turtles live on gravel and other substrates in the wild and don't always die. I think that the problem in captivity arise when species are confined in improper setups or housed on unfamiliar substrates. So as long as you watch your turtle's behavior closely to be certain that it is not swallowing excessive amounts of gravel, it should likely be OK. If you do notice that the turtle is consuming sizable amounts of gravel, rather than redoing the entire enclosure, you could try to put a layer of larger gravel over top of the smaller gravel. The small gravel will thereby be covered from contact with the turtle (although you may need to periodically bury any small gravel again that the turtle uncovers through digging).

Le mie tartarughe che osservo ormai da 5 anni non hanno mai consumato granelli dal fondo , che è una vera sabbia di fiume, e tuttora le osservo con attenzione e ritengo si siano adattate perfettamente al fondale da me utilizzato.
Chiaramente è e resta il mio un caso limite ed invito tutti gli appassionati di questo mondo a seguire le tue indicazioni in merito.